Sunday, September 2, 2007

Portland Saturday Market~

I took some time yesterday to visit my old stomping grounds,
Portland Saturday Market. I could not have started my business without many hard and sweet hours as a vendor there. It is a mash of noise, art, laughter and music. The artisans are without a doubt some of the most talented, creative and kind people I've ever met. Its been wonderful to make the transition from struggling art market vendor to doing rather well on Etsy but it has been hard to leave the camaraderie of the PSM community. I miss everyone dearly. I don't get a lot of free time, especially kid free time so the few hours I spent by myself yesterday chatting with my old friends was just a bit of heaven. Of course, you cannot stop by the market without shopping just a smidge. My good friends Vince and Sabrina make the most incredible pottery.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I had to pick up these lovely tea bowls and a handful of their amazing leaf plates.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

--------------------------
The Vendors of Saturday Market may be losing their home. They're not highly regarded by the city planning commission and may very well be bumped from their spot at the end of 2007. There isn't much I can do but encourage all of you living in or visitng Portland to stop by, get some amazing art and let the City Council know that the market is an icon, a community and treasure to Portland that should not be paved over by high priced development.

(I have to say to Cathy, thank you so much for your kind words yesterday, I was so flattered and touched by your support!)

9 comments:

knitsteel said...

I spent 10 weeks in Portland, about ten years ago. I visited the Saturday market many times and loved to peruse and purchase the handcrafted work. I can't imagine Portland without it! I remember that market, Powell's, a theatre/pub, and a Japanese Garden as the major (affordable) cultural anchors of Portland.

Kathi said...

A best friend lives in Portland and whenver she comes home to visit, will always bring me something from the Portland Saturday Market. I'll definitely let them know what's going on there. And thanks for linking to that beautiful pottery...I want one of those leaf plates!

Marissa Fischer said...

That sounds like such a wonderful way to spend a saturday. Hopefully the market will survive in one way or another and I can may my way to Portland and check it out some day.

Steph said...

That pottery is beautiful! I just became involved with a market this summer and I love it! I hope your market can be saved!

EyePopArt said...

Ryan, I will never forget when I was a vendor at Saturday Market and how supportive and helpful you were to me. Especially when you told me to raise my prices! That was smart. Thanks!

LemonCadet said...

Wow. This is terrible news. When I was just a baby my mom sold these huge dolls she would make there. It's such an important place to me. Everytime I go to Portland I go to the market.

juju designs said...

I love Portland, all of that area, actually...and your pottery is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

buy i http://www.ghdzone2013.co.uk/ wholesalers recognised have toned Tails! christian louboutin shoes uk soft Noon sell ray ban caravan fast moncler ghd pink bags the authenticity in toms shoes on sale it hectic

Katherine Hayden said...

I liked this most incredible pottery. Even i enjoyed your article very much. You can go through essay writing service UK to get such good articles.